Friday, August 10, 2007

Education from Flies and Lizard

One of the things that we deal with out here in the desert is flies. From having a lot of them to watch and deal with, I can’t help noticing how similar they are to people in unsatisfactory relationships.

For example, they are cheerfully flying around in a large, closed in area, feeling foot-loose and fancy free (I imagine), when suddenly they get themselves in a tight spot, take, for example, a tall cylindrical candle holder. They buzz around, helplessly, beating themselves against the glass, unable to figure out that if they only would do something differently, such as fly upwards, they could be free.

Of course, I am watching them and waiting for them to figure that out, waiting with my trusty “Fly-Zapper” to get them when they do get out.
That part isn’t necessarily part of bad relationships, usually, anyway. But, in a way, it is part of life. No matter how smart, how “healthy” we approach life, none of us are going to get out of this alive.

I watched a cute little lizard come zipping into my gazebo yesterday, then he couldn’t figure out how to get out of it, even though there was a gaping space not 6" away. It took him a dozen tries to find that space before he got to freedom. I thought then, too, how that is like so many women, and men, too, in unsatisfactory relationships but unable to take effective action to get out.

Maybe I’m thinking of this because I hear so many callers to the hotline complaining either of being left by a man who has treated them badly, cheated on them, took their possessions, etc., and now they are crying because the jerk has left them. I know, I know. Grief is normal with any loss.

Another common call we get is from men and women who want to leave but who are afraid to be alone, afraid they won’t make it financially without their partner. Or afraid they will never find anyone to love them again.

How are they like the lizard and the fly? Little imagination or trust in themselves.

I probably should quit now, before I alienate everyone.

3 comments:

Natasha Epperson said...

only you would compare us to flies and lizards ;)

Melissa said...

Very nice analogy. And depressing...I've been seeing myself as a lizard and/or fly all weekend. Very enlightening!

Anonymous said...

Well, since I know you recently have become surrounded with flies and lizards because of a vacation home, I know that things that are new to us facsinate us. And because I know you are a therapist, you are always fascinated by people, trying to figure them out. So I can see you comparing the two. And it is true, so many women do stupid things, not because they are stupid, but because they have no self esteem and don't trust themselves. Probably because they were raised by people with little or no self esteem themselves and passed that on to their children. It's sad really.
One of the ways I have compared myself to a tiny bug or small animal, is I think it would be so weird to be walking along and someone comes along and picks me up. My bug mind would be thinking, how will I get back to my family, how am I going to get home, how long of a walk is it, am I going to live? So those are my fly and lizard thoughts...........