Monday, October 10, 2005

Reasons Why I want to Quit Smoking...

Now that I know I'm going to have surgery in November, 2005, I know I must stop smoking. I decided to use hypnosis this time to help me stay quit. I'm really an expert at quitting smoking but a failure at staying quit. I know I have a lot of company, but I should be able to do this while in a relationship.

I say "while in a relationship" because the last time I quit for 5 years was when I was not in a relationship. I quit last time using Nicotine Anonymous. The first year was horrible!! I was miserable for a year! I said I would never (always a dangerous word) smoke because I didn't want to ever have to go through that first year again. And that's one reason I'm using hypnosis this time, I'm hoping I can make the first year less miserable for me and for him.

I behave so terribly when I am not smoking and my partner is smoking, I doubt the relationship could make it through that first year. I am critical, superior, arrogant, unfriendly, and critical of his continued smoking. We'll see if I can manage it better this way.

I know I should want quit, but since I am a nicotine addict, I don't really want to, but I want to want to. That's about as honest as I can be about it. Here are some of the good things about not smoking:

  • my breath will come easier when I talk.
  • I will smell good.
  • the surgery will be safer.
  • my blood pressure will go down.
  • my health will get better.
  • I'll feel more like walking and working out.
  • I'll have more time to work out and walk.
  • I will be proud of myself for actually quitting and staying quit.
  • I won't have to sneak around and smoke.
  • I will be living more in alignment with my beliefs and with who I am.
  • We will be good examples for Joe.
  • I will be a good example for Jack, maybe.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll copy and paste these into my journal and take them with me tomorrow when I go.

No comments: